- Harmony Bible Church Taking Donations for OklahomaPosted 16 hours ago
- Lee County Drug BustPosted 17 hours ago
- UPDATE: Missing Girl’s Backpack FoundPosted 17 hours ago
- DMCo Supervisors Say No (Again) to Former Army Reserve CenterPosted 22 hours ago
- HenryCo Teens Accused of Mepo Vehicle BurglariesPosted 22 hours ago
- Suspected Kidnapper Kills Himself; 15-Year Old Still MissingPosted 23 hours ago
Columbus Junction Hog Containment Fire Probe Continues
COLUMBUS JUNCTION, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say about 1,000 pigs died in a fire at an eastern Iowa hog containment operation.
The fire was reported about 1 p.m. Friday at Mipa Hog Farms, which sits about 10 miles west of Columbus Junction.
There were no reports of human injuries.
The operation includes eight connected buildings spread over 20 acres. By the time firefighters arrived, two farrowing houses were fully engulfed.
Officials say 500 to 600 of the pigs killed were sows. The rest were piglets.
The fire cause is being investigated.