- Man Who Beat and Robbed Burlington Resident is Found GuiltyPosted 2 days ago
- Midwest Gas Prices SpikePosted 2 days ago
- Armed Forces Night at Community Field TomorrowPosted 2 days ago
- Tis the Season of Graduation at SCCPosted 2 days ago
- West Burlington will be watching…Posted 3 days ago
- Click it or Ticket this WeekendPosted 3 days ago
Accused Landlord Killer Trial Goes to Closings
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Attorneys are set to make their closing arguments at the homicide trial of a 22-year-old man charged in the 2009 shooting of an Iowa City landlord.
Prosecutors in Johnson County are expected to ask jurors on Tuesday to convict Justin Marshall of first-degree murder in the death of 64-year-old John Versypt, of Cordova, Ill. Defense lawyers, meanwhile, are expected to argue Marshall was not the gunman.
Police say Versypt was checking on his properties when he was shot in the head during an attempted robbery. Marshall and two other men were arrested.
The Gazette newspaper reports the prosecutors’ final witnesses included two jailhouse informants who said Marshall confessed to them that he killed Versypt. Defense attorneys suggested the witnesses could be making up testimony to cut their sentences.