- Harmony Bible Church Taking Donations for OklahomaPosted 13 hours ago
- Lee County Drug BustPosted 14 hours ago
- UPDATE: Missing Girl’s Backpack FoundPosted 15 hours ago
- DMCo Supervisors Say No (Again) to Former Army Reserve CenterPosted 19 hours ago
- HenryCo Teens Accused of Mepo Vehicle BurglariesPosted 19 hours ago
- Suspected Kidnapper Kills Himself; 15-Year Old Still MissingPosted 20 hours ago
Small Iowa GOP Coalition Introduces Anti-Abortion Legislation
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Republican lawmakers are introducing legislation that would outlaw abortion and allow prosecution of doctors in Iowa.
Representative Tom Shaw, of Laurens, says he’s trying to protect human life, whether “you’re a zygote, an infant, a teenager or an adult.”
The bill he introduced Wednesday would prohibit abortion from the moment of conception. Doctors who perform abortions could be charged with murder.
Shaw says he believes the bill wouldn’t violate the U.S. Constitution, but Jill June, president of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, disagreed.
She calls the bill an extreme attempt to restrict abortion and says it would clearly be unconstitutional.
The bill’s prospects in the House are unclear, and it likely would face problems in the Senate, where Democrats hold a majority.