- Grocery Store on the Hill to ClosePosted 2 hours ago
- One-Time Drug Court Administrator Accused of Making DrugsPosted 2 hours ago
- Harmony Bible Church Taking Donations for OklahomaPosted 20 hours ago
- Lee County Drug BustPosted 21 hours ago
- UPDATE: Missing Girl’s Backpack FoundPosted 22 hours ago
- DMCo Supervisors Say No (Again) to Former Army Reserve CenterPosted 1 day ago
Iowa GOP Anti-Gay Marriage Stance Remains Strong
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The head of the Iowa Republican Party says he will continue to uphold the GOP’s opposition to gay marriage.
The Des Moines Register reports that during a taping of the public television program “Iowa Press” on Thursday, AJ Spiker said the Iowa GOP believes marriage should only be allowed between men and women.
Some Iowa Republicans have called for the party to embrace same-sex marriage.
Spiker added that, “There is one gay-marriage party in the state of Iowa and that’s the Iowa Democratic Party.”
Democratic Party Chairman Tyler Olson noted after the program that his party supports marriage-equality for gay couples.
Spiker said he didn’t expect Republicans who favor gay marriage to leave the party.
Gay marriage has been legal in Iowa since a 2009 state Supreme Court ruling.