- Road Work Coming to the AreaPosted 14 hours ago
- Big River Resources Donates Rescue TubePosted 14 hours ago
- Here Come the CropsPosted 14 hours ago
- Moore, Oklahoma Residents Dig for More VictimsPosted 19 hours ago
- N.Hill Neighbors Fill Council Chambers; Want Action on 12-PlexPosted 20 hours ago
- West Burlington Schools are ProficientPosted 1 day ago
Residents Should Register On-Line: IL Gov. Quinn
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Gov. Pat Quinn wants Illinois residents to be able to register for voting by typing information into a website.
The Chicago Democrat says the state’s election process must move into the 21st century.
Supporters tout the proposal as a way to simplify registration and attract the Millennial Generation that has traditionally been absent from the election process.
The state’s GOP leadership doesn’t object to the idea. Still, Republicans question whether this is the right time to introduce the measure.
Illinois Republican Chairman Pat Brady says lawmakers should solely focus on fixing the state’s worst-in-the-nation pension crisis.
Quinn made the proposal before lawmakers during his State of the State address last week.
More than a dozen states, including Colorado, Nevada and Indiana, already offer online registration.