- More Burlington Road ClosingsPosted 16 hours ago
- Bill Northey Visits Mediapolis Tomorrow at 61 Chop HousePosted 17 hours ago
- Ft. Madison SuicidePosted 19 hours ago
- Worlds Fastest Omelet Maker Coming to IA. State FairPosted 20 hours ago
- IL. Counties are OK with Concealed CarryPosted 21 hours ago
- Davenport Man Dead After Fight at Baseball ParkPosted 21 hours ago
Pope Benedict’s Closing Act
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Benedict XVI is in the final hours of his papacy.
At 5 p.m. local time the pope will leave the palace for the final time as pontiff and fly by helicopter to the papal retreat. Three hours later, Benedict will become the first pontiff in 600 years to resign.
In an unexpected speech to cardinals today, the pope promised “unconditional reverence and obedience” to his successor.
Benedict urged them to work in unity so that the College of Cardinals is “like an orchestra” where “agreement and harmony” can be reached.