- Illinois Governor Upset About Concealed Carry ApprovalPosted 21 hours ago
- Blood Found and Search Continues for Dayton Girl, 15Posted 1 day ago
- Kidnapped Victim SpeaksPosted 2 days ago
- UPDATE: More Arrests Made Related to Car BurglariesPosted 2 days ago
- Deceased Army Ammunition Plant Workers RememberedPosted 2 days ago
- Henderson, McDonough Qualify for Federal Disaster Aid; Warren County Does NotPosted 2 days ago
Courtney Has Bypass Surgery; Absence Problematic for Dems
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A Burlington senator is out of the Capitol recovering from heart surgery, leaving the Democrats without the majority they need to approve legislation.
Senate staffers say Sen. Tom Courtney, of Burlington, had heart bypass surgery last week, and it is not known when he will return to work. Without Courtney, the Democrats hold a 25-24 majority in the Senate, one vote shy of the 26-24 majority needed to pass legislation on party-line votes.
Lawmakers are about halfway through the legislative session, which is scheduled to finish May 3, though it could run longer.