- Man Who Beat and Robbed Burlington Resident is Found GuiltyPosted 1 day ago
- Midwest Gas Prices SpikePosted 1 day ago
- Armed Forces Night at Community Field TomorrowPosted 1 day ago
- Tis the Season of Graduation at SCCPosted 2 days ago
- West Burlington will be watching…Posted 2 days ago
- Click it or Ticket this WeekendPosted 2 days ago
Rare War Flags on Display at IL State Military Museum
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — War flags and banners from conflicts dating back to the Civil War will be on display at the Illinois State Military Museum in Springfield.
The Illinois National Guard and Military historical Society donated the large display case. The flags will come from the Civil War, Mexican War, World War I and World War II. The exhibit will have a new flag every 90 days. The first flag will be the 90th Illinois Infantry or Irish Legion’s flag. That was chosen in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.
Museum curator Bill Lear says if it weren’t for the new exhibit the flags would rarely be seen due to deterioration over the decades. He says the case means the public can see “some very rare items.”