- West Burlington Schools are ProficientPosted 11 hours ago
- Drug BustsPosted 20 hours ago
- Twisters Hit Breadbasket; Could be More TodayPosted 23 hours ago
- Sabbath Day of Contrasting Emotions in BurlingtonPosted 24 hours ago
- UPDATE: Man Shot in Head Saturday Night in BurlingtonPosted 24 hours ago
- Community Basket WinnerPosted 2 days ago
Chicago teachers get notice of school closings
Chicago teachers say the city has begun telling them about which public schools it intends to close under a plan that opponents say will disproportionately affect minority students.
District administrators have identified 129 potential schools to close, saying many facilities have too few students to justify keeping them open. District officials say closures would cut costs for the district, which faces a $1 billion budget shortfall, and better funnel resources to students.
Teacher Rosemary Maurello says the principal of Lafayette Elementary School in the Humboldt Park neighborhood read them a letter Thursday from the district about that school’s planned closure. The message said a final decision would be made in May. But Maurello said information packets were already prepared for parents and “it sounds like a done deal.”
Via: Fox News