15 Firefighters Needed to Put Out Burlington House Fire
No one was hurt, but damage was substantial from a house fire yesterday afternoon at 1713 West Avenue in Burlington.
It took 15 firefighters, 10 from Burlington and 5 from West Burlington, to knock down the flames. Fire Marshal Mark Crooks says owner Jake Vahle had started a fire in the second floor fireplace. About an hour later, the blaze spread behind the wall around the enclosed chimney. Vahle tried to put it out with an extinguisher, but by then the fire was too big. The owner and three residents escaped. Damage to the wood frame house is estimated at $12,000, plus $10,000 to the contents. Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home, but the place is insured.