Two House Fires, Both Blamed on Space Heaters

A Hamilton woman and her three kids were driven from their home on Oak Street by a fire early Friday morning.

 Sharlyne Rael says the family now needs clothing and furniture. The Red Cross was called in to make other living arrangements. The fire is being blamed on a space heater.

An Oquawka area woman escaped from her home around 3 o’clock Saturday when fire struck.

Assistance Fire Chief Troy Jern says Marlene Miller, who lives on County Road 1350-East, heard smoke detectors going off and woke up. Jern says a space heater, again, was the likely cause of the fire, which did more than $50,000 in damage.

Comments are closed.