News

Recent Posts

Group wants to give guns to the poor

As cities around the country experiment with gun-buybacks to get weapons off the street, one man has started a group to do just the opposite. It’s called the “Armed Citizen Project,” and it aims to provide guns to poor Americans in high crime neighborhoods. “As criminals have more reason to fear the citizenry, crime begins to drop as a result,” Kyle Coplen, the founder, told FoxNews.com. This week, the group gave out its first weapons. “We just trained and armed a class of 10 women. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

Police ID two suspects in $1M California gold heist

Police have named two suspects in a gold heist in California that netted more than $1 million a year ago. The two men, both from the San Francisco Bay area, allegedly made off with more than $1.25 million in gold, jewelry and artifacts from a display case in the lobby of the Siskiyou County Courthouse during a February 2012 robbery. Now, police say they’ve issued felony warrants for David Dean Johnson, 49, of El Cerrito and Scott Wayne Bailey, 51, of El Sobrante. The men are the primary suspects, the LA Times reported. “This has been a long and arduous investigation involving … Continue Reading →

Filed under:

Jury awards $41.7M to student disabled on field trip to China

A jury awarded $41.7 million to a woman who sued her prestigious boarding school after contracting a tick-borne illness on a school trip to China that left her unable to speak and brain damaged. The federal jury in Bridgeport ruled Wednesday in favor of Cara Munn, 20, in her lawsuit against The Hotchkiss School, a private school in Lakeville. The school said it would appeal. Munn, of New York City, was a ninth-grader at Hotchkiss when she joined a school-supervised trip to China during the summer of 2007, according to her lawsuit. The then-15-year-old suffered insect bites that led to tick-borne encephalitis, her attorneys said. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

New York City suspect in Coney Island shooting of 4 released from custody

The man arrested in the fatal shooting of one person and wounding three of others in Brooklyn’s Coney Island neighborhood earlier this month has been released from custody. A spokesman for the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office says Saturday a judge ordered 29-year-old Joseph Brown released on Friday. The spokesman says the investigation is ongoing and Brown is due back in court next month. Police had said Brown entered an apartment in a public housing complex, walked to a back bedroom and shot a man in the head. Investigators said he then shot three other people in the apartment, killing one. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

4 arrested in killing of 2 teens at California park

Four people have been arrested in a shooting this month that left two teens dead and two others hurt at a makeshift memorial in Southern California for another boy and girl who were shot to death at the same site two years ago. U-T San Diego reports two 19-year-old men and a 21-year-old man were booked into jail for investigation of first-degree murder and attempted murder in the shooting in Oceanside. A teenage boy also was taken into custody. Police say 13-year-old Melanie Virgen and 15-year-old Edgar Sanchez were killed March 13 at Libby Lake Park. Two boys, both under 17, were wounded. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

1 $750G bid for unwanted Alaska ferry worth $80M

An unwanted, $80 million ice-breaking ferry owned by an Alaska borough has only one bid to buy it, and it’s for $751,000. The bid was the only entered by Friday’s deadline set up by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, which has been trying to get rid of the 200-foot ferry. The borough doesn’t have to accept the offer, The Anchorage Daily News reported (http://bit.ly/Zuh2SN). The vessel was completed in 2011 and born out of a partnership between the borough, which wanted a ferry, and the Navy, which wanted a fast military landing craft. Named the Susitna, the ferry was built as a Navy prototype that would be owned and operated by the borough. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

LA police ID suspect in girl's abduction case

Police said Saturday they are looking for a transient in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Fernando Valley home before dawn last week and abandoned hours later in front of a hospital. Investigators identified 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers as a suspect in the case but couldn’t elaborate on the motive or what led them to him. Police don’t know if the girl was targeted but said they don’t believe Summers had a connection to her family. “We have no information that the family knew this individual or that the individual knew any members of the family,” Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said. About 40 detectives have been working around the clock looking for clues since the girl was abducted from her home Wednesday. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

Los Angeles police release suspect's name in abduction case

Police on Saturday released the name of a man suspected in the abduction of a 10-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Fernando Valley home before dawn last week and abandoned hours later in front of a hospital. Tobias Dustin Summers, a 30-year-old man who was recently released from prison, was identified as a “child-kidnapping suspect,” Los Angeles police said. Summers has a lengthy criminal record, having been arrested in the past for robbery, grand theft auto and kidnapping, according to authorities. Dozens of detectives worked around the clock looking for clues since the girl was abducted from her home on Wednesday. She was found hours later, wandering near a Starbucks several miles from her home. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

Washington boys, ages 10 and 11, to stand trial for alleged murder conspiracy

A northeast Washington judge has found two boys, ages 10 and 11, competent to stand trial in juvenile court on a murder conspiracy charge. Stevens County Prosecutor Tim Rasmussen says the fifth-graders had a handwritten plan listing seven steps leading up to the planned killing of a female classmate. That list was submitted as evidence at their mental capacity hearing Friday. A county judge ruled that the boys understood the nature and consequences of their actions. They pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, witness tampering and juvenile possession of a firearm. Continue Reading →

Filed under:

China finds 1 body; 82 still buried in mudslide

Rescuers in Tibet have found one body after 83 workers were buried in a massive landslide at a gold mining site. The fate of the other victims is unknown. State media say the workers were buried early Friday when about 2.6 million cubic yards of mud, rock and debris swept through the mine and covered an area measuring around 1.5 square miles. The official Xinhua News Agency says more than 3,000 rescuers are scouring the high-altitude, mountainous area of Lhasa’s Maizhokunggar county, but that search efforts were slowed after snow started to fall at around 1 p.m. Saturday. Xinhua says the body was retrieved at 5:35 p.m. The miners worked for a subsidiary of the China National Gold Group Corp., a state-owned enterprise and the country’s largest gold producer. Continue Reading →

Filed under: