Georgia detective allegedly pulls gun in McDonald's drive-thru

A metro Atlanta police sergeant accused of pulling a gun on a customer in a McDonalds drive-thru as been arrested. Forsyth County sheriff’s spokesman Courtney Spriggs Wednesday said DeKalb County police Sgt. Scott Biumi has been charged with aggravated assault after authorities say he pointed a gun at a man during an argument on April 9. Sheriff’s officials say surveillance footage from inside the restaurant shows the 48-year-old sergeant step between the man’s car and the drive-thru window. Authorities say he pointed the weapon into the car as he leaned into the driver’s side window. Continue Reading

US unemployment aid applications rise to 352K

The number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits increased just 4,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 352,000. The slight gain kept applications at a level consistent with solid hiring and suggests March’s sluggish hiring may be temporary. The Labor Department report released Thursday also noted that the four-week average, a less volatile measure, rose to 361,250. Applications are a proxy for layoffs. They jumped three weeks ago to a four-month high, but then plummeted the following week. Continue Reading

Moderate earthquake rattles town in northwest Iran

Iran’s state TV says a moderate, magnitude 5.2 earthquake rattled a small town in the country’s northwest. The TV says the quake shook the town of Tasooj at 3:09 p.m. (10:39 GMT) on Thursday. The town is about 600 kilometers (370 miles) northwest of the capital, Tehran. There were no immediate reports about any damage or casualties. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude of the quake at 4.8. Continue Reading

California man says he was 'murdered' night wife allegedly cut off his penis

The estranged husband of a woman charged with severing his penis said it was as though his life ended the evening of the attack. “She murdered me that night,” the man said Wednesday on the first day of the trial of Catherine Kieu, 50. Orange County Deputy District Attorney John Christl said in his opening statement that Kieu, angry because her husband was dating a former girlfriend, laced his food with sleeping pills on July 11, 2011, then tied him to a bed, severed his penis and put it in the garbage disposal. “I will never have a sex life again,” said the husband, who had surgery that allows him to urinate. The penis could not be reattached. Continue Reading

Mich. husband charged in executive wife's death

A man accused of forcing a handyman to strangle his wife was charged with first-degree murder Wednesday, 15 months after the discovery of her body in a Detroit alley stirred fear that she was a victim of a random abduction from a comfortable suburb. The charges against Robert Bashara were not unexpected. Nonetheless, it was another extraordinary turn in the death of Jane Bashara, a 56-year-old marketing executive from Grosse Pointe Park. “I don’t know if I’d use the word strange,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said when asked to sum up the investigation. “I would use the word different, and certainly a case that has a lot of tentacles.” Continue Reading

Wyo. inmate out on bond on DNA evidence, new trial

A Wyoming man who was granted the state’s first retrial based on DNA evidence has been released from jail on bond after more than 23 years in prison. A stepdaughter of 63-year-old Andrew J. Johnson says he posted $10,000 bond Wednesday. Johnson previously had been transferred to the Cheyenne jail from the Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins. Johnson was convicted of raping a Cheyenne woman in her apartment in 1989. He was sentenced to life in prison because he had previous convictions. Continue Reading

Boston courthouse evacuated following bomb threat

Workers have returned to a Boston federal courthouse that was evacuated because of a bomb threat amid reports of a breakthrough in the marathon bombings investigation. Nikki Credic-Barrett, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Marshals Service in Washington, says a security sweep was conducted because of the bomb threat. Court workers got back inside the building about an hour after the evacuation. Crowds of reporters are gathered outside. The FBI and the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston say no arrests have been made in the marathon bombing. Continue Reading

Man asks court to toss 1979 NYC child-killing case

A man who confessed to killing a long-missing New York City boy is asking a judge to throw out the murder case against him. His lawyer says the confession was false and there’s not enough evidence to support it. The dismissal request was filed Wednesday in one of the nation’s most notorious child disappearances. Six-year-old Etan Patz (AY’-tahn payts) vanished en route to school in May 1979. Maple Shade, N.J., resident Pedro Hernandez was arrested last year after police got a tip. Continue Reading

Military court: Manning documents not its decision

The U.S. military’s highest court says it isn’t the right place for a dispute over public access to documents in the court-martial of Pfc. Bradley Manning. The New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights had sued seeking access to documents in the ongoing case. The center was seeking timely access to transcripts, motions, court orders and other documents in the case of Manning, who is charged with giving classified information to the secret-spilling website WikiLeaks. Three of the five judges for the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces who heard the case, however, said the court doesn’t have the authority to consider the question of access. Continue Reading