Detroit Metro airport's North Terminal to reopen after bomb scare

Police say the North Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Airport will reopen within the hour after bomb squads responded to an “explosive device” found at a security checkpoint, MyFoxDetroit.com reported. Authorities had evacuated part of a terminal as a bomb squad responds to an “explosive device” found at a security checkpoint, MyFoxDetroit.com reported. Airport spokesman Mike Conway says the check-in lobby at the airport’s North Terminal in Romulus was shut down about 6:15 a.m.

Crowds of people were seen pulling and carrying luggage leaving the North Terminal and heading towards the airport’s Smith Terminal. Conway says the item was in an X-ray machine at a security checkpoint. Sources tell MyFoxDetroit.com the item was discovered in a carry-on bag and is being checked out by two bomb squads. Continue Reading

Part of Detroit Metro airport terminal evacuated

Authorities say they’ve evacuated part of the smaller of two terminals at Detroit Metropolitan Airport as a bomb squad responds to a suspicious item at a security checkpoint. Airport spokesman Mike Conway says the check-in lobby at the airport’s North Terminal in Romulus was shut down about 6:15 a.m. Monday. No injuries are reported. Conway says the item was in an X-ray machine at a security checkpoint. He says one bomb squad responded and a second was called to the scene. Continue Reading

Hearing set for man in Nev. crash that killed 5

An 18-year-old man is scheduled to make an initial court appearance Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence after authorities say he rear-ended a van in southern Nevada, causing a crash that killed five Southern California family members and injured two others. Jean Soriano of California was being held without bail Sunday in the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas pending the hearing. He also was booked Saturday on charges of failure to decrease speed or use due care, and driving without a driver’s license. The Clark County coroner’s office identified the five victims Sunday as Genaro Fernandez, 41, of Norwalk, Calif.; Raudel Fernandez-Avila, 49, and Belen Fernandez, 53, both of Lynwood, Calif.; and Angela Sandoval, 13, and Leonardo Fernandez-Avila, 45, both of Los Angeles. The victims were among seven family members who were in the van, authorities said. Continue Reading

Authorities say 4 hurt when driver crashes into Calif. Wal-Mart, assaults people in store

Four people were hurt Sunday when a driver crashed his vehicle into a Wal-Mart in California and assaulted people in the store, police said. After the crash, the driver got out his vehicle and used a blunt object to attack people, said San Jose police Officer Albert Morales, a department spokesman. One person suffered what Morales described as serious injuries. He did not know the extent of the injuries to the three other people but said they were not life-threatening. Investigators have not determined how fast the driver — described as a male in his 30s — was going at the time of the crash, but the car went about 10 to 20 feet into the store. Continue Reading

Families mark anniversary of Oakland massacre

Families of the people killed in a shooting rampage at a small Oakland university last year are remembering their lost loved ones as the one-year anniversary of the massacre approaches. Seven people were killed in the shooting at Oikos University on April 2, 2012 when authorities say One Goh opened fire. Investigators say Goh — a former Oikos student — had planned the shooting after becoming angry with school officials over a tuition dispute. He previously had decided to drop out of the school’s nursing program. Wangchen Nyima told the Oakland Tribune http://bit.ly/XxzOhh a bad dream has awakened him almost every night since his sister, Sonam Choedon, was killed in the attack. Continue Reading

3 killed in 95-car pileup on Virginia highway

Nearly 100 vehicles crashed Sunday along a mountainous, foggy stretch of interstate near the Virginia-North Carolina border, killing three people and injuring 25 others. Police said traffic along Interstate 77 in southwest Virginia backed up for about 8 miles in the southbound lanes after the accidents. Authorities closed the northbound lanes so that fire trucks, ambulances and police could get to the series of chain-reaction wrecks. Virginia State Police determined there were 17 separate crashes involving 95 vehicles within a mile span near the base of Fancy Gap Mountain, spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. The crashes began around 1:15 p.m. Sunday when there was heavy fog in the area. Continue Reading

Nevada youth football coaches charged in bloody post-game brawl

Two Nevada youth football coaches are facing criminal charges in connection with a bloody fist fight in front of dozens of players and parents after a game in northeastern Nevada. The coaches are accused of “chest-bumping,” punching and yelling obscenities at each other during the Oct. 16 midfield fight in the casino town of West Wendover along the Utah line. Prosecutors filed misdemeanor battery and disturbing the peace charges last week against Luis Perez, 53, and Frank Sanchez, 38, in West Wendover Justice Court. The fight stemmed from the final play of a game that involved 10- to 13-year-old boys and was won by Perez’s team, police said. Continue Reading

Police ID two suspects in $1M California gold heist

Police have named two suspects in a gold heist in California that netted more than $1 million a year ago. The two men, both from the San Francisco Bay area, allegedly made off with more than $1.25 million in gold, jewelry and artifacts from a display case in the lobby of the Siskiyou County Courthouse during a February 2012 robbery. Now, police say they’ve issued felony warrants for David Dean Johnson, 49, of El Cerrito and Scott Wayne Bailey, 51, of El Sobrante. The men are the primary suspects, the LA Times reported. “This has been a long and arduous investigation involving … Continue Reading

Jury awards $41.7M to student disabled on field trip to China

A jury awarded $41.7 million to a woman who sued her prestigious boarding school after contracting a tick-borne illness on a school trip to China that left her unable to speak and brain damaged. The federal jury in Bridgeport ruled Wednesday in favor of Cara Munn, 20, in her lawsuit against The Hotchkiss School, a private school in Lakeville. The school said it would appeal. Munn, of New York City, was a ninth-grader at Hotchkiss when she joined a school-supervised trip to China during the summer of 2007, according to her lawsuit. The then-15-year-old suffered insect bites that led to tick-borne encephalitis, her attorneys said. Continue Reading