Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz underwent his third surgery since being shot at a Dominican Republic nightclub in what authorities suspect was a case of mistaken identity. Ortiz, 43, initially underwent surgery in the Dominican Republic. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed parts of Ortiz’s small and large intestine and said he suffered damage to his liver.
The retired baseball player’s wife, Tiffay Ortiz, said in a statement released by the Red Sox on Thursday that Ortiz underwent the operation at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he was airlifted following the June 9 shooting at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo.
The statement read: “Earlier this week, David underwent a third surgery for complications resulting from his gunshot wound. The operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General Hospital. David is recovering well and is in good spirits. We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time.”
Editorial credit: Debby Wong / Shutterstock.com